Friday, November 21, 2008

Holy cow! Trip to Labor and Delivery...

Things have gone from 0 to 100 really fast! Quick post because my head is spinning...

We went for another non stress test. Last week it was simple, fast and perfect. Today...we ended up in the labor and delivery triage for 6 hours.

J was having contractions frequently and couldn't even feel them. So we had to be moved to labor and delivery. She said last night she woke up and felt a little funny but didn't know what it was. The doctor came and checked her in L&D and she was 2 cm dilated! She has NEVER dilated before water breaking in her past 2 pregnancies. So this was a shock to all of us. We have had no issues at all in this pregnancy and no warning signals lately that we were getting close...AT ALL. (I think those of you reading this agreed since everyone's delivery prediction was mid-December!) To find this out was shocking to say the least. They gave her a shot of the terbutiline (sp?) and it helped but she still had contractions when it wore off. The FFN then came back positive. They said if it was negative they could tell us with 99% certainty they wouldn't be born this week. But if it was positive they said that really didn't mean anything.

They really want us to make it to 35 weeks and will stop labor until then as much as possible. She is on bedrest now for a week and one day to reach that point. I really thought we would easily make it to 36 weeks since all has been so smooth. We'll only be 34 weeks on Sunday (if we get that far!). I'm 1) freaking out that this is actually happening, 2) worried about the babies' health this early, 3) excited. Mostly just in a state of shock. I feel like someone hit me with a stun gun. I can't believe we could be having babies this week. I'm pretty sure we'll hit 34 weeks since that's just the day after tomorrow, but I don't know how much longer after that.

J is doing great. If you can sense my franticness in this post, just know that she is as calm as a snail and is NOT like this. LOL B is a little nervous about the babies' health this early, but is pretty calm too. So, if you're looking for me, I'll just be over here in this little corner freaking out alone. :) But seriously, how can I not freak out and feel emotional about it all? It's been a LONG journey. We could be arriving. It IS emotional. It IS crazy. It IS, it IS, it IS...OMG, I don't know what it IS, but it's a whirlwind!

9 comments:

Wewurtskihit said...

HOLY COOOKOOO!!! ok now I AM nervous and exited!!! Looks like you guys are about to become parents?!!!!

OMG OMG OMG, how exiting!!:-)

Mark

Mrs. Shoes said...

Wow! That is so very exciting! I am still praying that babies hang in until Dec. 1 though.

Karma & Adam said...

You're so close now! Wow. Sending lots of good vibes that those babies stay put until 35 weeks. So exciting!

Sarah Andrews said...

Sounds like you have a great medical team behind you guys N. I totally think that those babies are going to stay put for a least another week. A very exciting time full of energy. Just keep an eye on that energy N. Channel that frantic energy into loving and nurturing energy so you don't tire yourself out with worry over what you can't control. KWIM? Your babies are getting ready for their grand enterance and I am so very excited for you too meet them and for you and B and your children to start on your path as a family. You all are in my thoughts and prayers and I just know that everything is going to be perfect. It is happening Mommy!

Niki said...

So exciting! I can't wait to hear of your twin's arrival! :)

Anonymous said...

Well - here we go!!! The last little roller coaster of the journey is underway! :-) I know that you, J and the babies will absolutely be fine. I also know how you feel about everything all of a sudden turning into something scary so quickly. I agree with Journey -- use that energy to get something done, to work, to laugh and know that soon (but not right now yet), you'll have your babies right here! We're so, so excited for you all. Hang tight, babies!!

Anonymous said...

OK, N, we really are living parallel lives - Marika's first bout with pre-term labor was at 33w6d at a routine NST. Fingers crossed but we're 35w1d and still no babies yet, and no further dilation. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you guys. Hang in there! You're getting close, but it could still be awhile!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am hoping those babies stay in there for 2 more weeks (or at least 1 more week) although even if they are born sooner than that, I know that everyone will be ok!!! Based on their ultrasound, they are big (especially for twins!). Try and sleep (although it must feel like Christmas x 1000!) since you will have newborns in your arms before you know it!

TABI said...

OMG!!!! WOW WOW!! How exciting and I can't believe how fast it came! Soon you will be bringing home your babies! I can't wait to hear how it goes! I am so excited for you!!!!!!