Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ultrasound and Maternity Tour

We had a second "big" ultrasound Friday because our hospital likes to do it twice for twins - once around 18 weeks, once around the beginning of the third trimester. We got to see both babies for a while and interestingly both are measuring quite a bit ahead...Nathan was measuring exactly 2 weeks ahead (holy cow - that's a lot at this stage!) and Kenna was measuring more than a week ahead. Kenna was already 2 pounds 5 oz (didn't get Nathan's weight but I'm sure it's more than that). The books I have say this week they MAY weigh as much 1.5 pounds. lol It's surprising to me that our babies are big like this - I'm short and skinny and B is tall and skinny! I guess weight would be partially driven by J's nutrition to them, so she is feeding them very well! The lengths/measurements would be genetic so maybe they are lengthy like B. In any case, it's a good thing because if they are premature, one of the big factors in how preemies do is how much they weigh.

We had the maternity tour yesterday. It was actually really interesting. They did a presentation first to explain what everything was and then we went on the walking tour. The rooms were very nice - I expected labor and delivery rooms to look a lot more like a hospital, but they looked like bedrooms! It was also a bit freaky to think about the big day and how it will all pan out. I'm not someone who likes to figure things out on the fly, but how all this will work with four people involved (J, R, me and B) instead of the usual two (parents), is just not something we can predict. It will depend on a lot of factors and there is no way to get exact answers in advance because it is so unusual (I think we are the first surrogacy at this hospital). I just had to keep telling myself as we were walking through that "it's OK to not be totally in control of this situation". :) I've had to learn a lot of that through all of this so delivery day will be the culmination...my final exam!

In other news, the cribs came finally this week! I was very excited to see them show up on Friday because as of Wednesday the company couldn't even tell me where my order was. B's parents are coming over this Friday to help us put the cribs and dressers together. I CAN'T WAIT to have furniture in the room so we can start to decorate and organize. It's driving me a little crazy right now. I HAVE to have control over something right now, and the preparations are perfect for me to focus on! I have also been reading just about every major baby book - I've finished:

The Baby Whisperer
Babywise
Happiest Baby on the Block
Confident Baby Care (book by the "Supernanny")
I'm a Mom, Now What?
What to Expect in the First Year
Bright from the Start
Twinspiration

All the different perspectives have been helpful (I've been sure to read a range of views)!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You are ultra prepared, mama! Happiest Baby on the Block was our best friend for the first couple weeks with both kids. His techniques are amazing. Babywise (as you already know) has become my theme book for raising children. You've got a good range of books under your belt! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hi Natasha! I just read "Happiest Baby on the Block," too. I really liked it and am happy to hear that the techniques actually work.

Wewurtskihit said...

You are well prepared....but DO remember that the BEST "book" is the one engrained in your DNA - its the "book" of Instinct...that one works the BEST i have found. Even though Michelle read all the books out there we both do most everything just by the seat of our pants!!!!

BUt it looks like both babes are doing GREAT!!! Congrats!!

Mark

TABI said...

I am so glad to have found your blog! I am about to embark on surrogacy and it's so great to see someone succeed. I am also contributing editor at Bridges for the Intended Parents section- http://awarenessbridges.blogspot.com. I try to post regularly there about being an intended parent, and I also can recommend other posts about being intended parents. I would love to get your permission to submit the link to your post "What do we miss out on with surrogacy?" because it really gives a flavor of what it's like to be an intended parent. Let me know if I could submit a link to that post for Bridges. You can email me at nyctabi@gmail.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Natasha!
I love reading your blog - what an amazing adventure you two have had. I noticed your book list - awesome list. One that I would recommend is: "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." Boring, but very very insightful into the natural sleep rhythms of humans and natural nap schedules. I felt it coordinated well with Baby Whisperer and Happiest Baby.
Cheers!
Karrie Orchard

Jenn said...

Hi Natasha! It is so great to read your blog and see how things are moving along. Congrats to you!! :)