Friday, September 12, 2008

I can't wait for Sunday!

On Sunday we will hit a big milestone...24 weeks! It's a big milestone for 2 reasons:

1) Since twins are on average born at 36 weeks, each "twin" trimester is about 12 weeks...meaning Sunday puts us in a pseudo-third trimester already! Holy cow!

2) It's the first viability milestone. While 20 weeks is a milestone because it is half the pregnancy, 24 weeks is considered the entry point into viability should the babies come early. Babies born at this point have a 50% chance of survival like I mentioned in my last post. I can't believe we are getting to the point now where from here on out the babies could actually survive if something did force them to come early. 28 weeks is even bigger though - in just 4 weeks from now they will have a 90% chance of survival! WOW! Our shower will be in the 28th week too so it will be an exciting time!

I know that there are plenty of twin moms who actually have full term twins (37 weeks+) but with half of all twins born before 36 weeks, there is a good chance the babies could even be born in November. In fact, I see people everyday online on the message boards I go to post about twin births and I can only think of a couple ever who had their babies after 36 weeks. It seems really common that twins come before that and require NICU time. A lot of otherwise normal twin pregnancies are known to get complicated after the 24th week. So with all these things floating through my head I'm super excited (can you tell with how frequently I've been posting?!) and getting a bit nervous too. I'm mentally transitioning from "will these babies actually stick around?" to "will these babies come safely?" So far everything has looked so great so hopefully we will be one of the lucky ones making it to the 37 week mark (December 14).

In the meantime, hooray for 24 weeks - I can't wait to see my ticker turn over!

9 comments:

Sanda said...

Hooray is right! Yay for another milestone! :)

Karma & Adam said...

I remember getting to that 24 week mark...and then 28 weeks...then 32 weeks...I felt more relieved with every week, up until about week 35 when I realized she could be here soon. Then I got nervous all over again : )
Sounds like all is going well - BE excited - you deserve to experience that!

Anonymous said...

24 weeks IS such an important milestone! I'm so thrilled for all of you as you move through the pregnancy. We're all praying for the save arrival of your babies. At 37+ weeks!!!

Anonymous said...

Ooops! That would be SAFE arrival. SAFE, healthy, cuddly!

Wewurtskihit said...

Congrats!! BIG one! I have to agree with Karma wholeheartedly: The relieve you feel is indescribable when you hit milestones that ensure at least a CHANCE for the baby(ies)!!!!

Karma & Adam said...

Happy 24 weeks today!

Anonymous said...

Congrats everyone! Good job, babies - keep growing!!

N said...

Thanks so much everyone for the comments and congrats...it's Sunday and we made it! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I just found this blog through Karma's which I am a faithful reader. I had twins 7 years ago. I made it to 38 weeks and I know MANY other twins born after as well. I think now a days the stats are good for at least a 36 week gestation with twins..I'm not a doctor, but I wanted to let you know there are many BIG and full term twins born, too. Mine were 6 lbs and 5lbs 14 oz. A friend of mine, hers were 7lbs each born at 38 weeks. I'm sure things will be great for you guys. But I can only imagine the worry after all you have gone through. I can't wait to follow your blog and see all the joy, love and yes a bit of craziness that the twins will bring to your lives....congrats on making it to a HUGE milestone as well.