Thursday, September 25, 2008

Our Nine Year Anniversary

Today is our nine year anniversary! What an awesome anniversary it is, knowing we are going to add to our family soon! The last two anniversaries were filled with fear (at least for me) that we would never have a family. Last year was doubly hard because we just finished a failed IVF (our fifth). I felt like there was absolutely no hope. I would have been shocked if you told me that by this anniversary we would be three months away from having two babies! It is an awesome, incredible, unbelievable fact.

The vast majority of couples have kids before they are married nine years. We got married when we were pretty young (23 and 24) and didn't start trying for six years into it. Add to that three years of infertility and here we are nine years later. Infertility nightmares aside, I am so grateful for the nine years we have had before children! It is a unique blessing to have had so much time with just the two of us. We are the absolute best of friends and have had the opportunity to do all kinds of fun things focused just on us and what we wanted to do - camping, backpacking, snowboarding, traveling, scuba diving and hundreds of regular 'ol "dates"! In the last 3 years that I've been working from home (B works from home too), I think we've had the most fun ever because we are literally together all the time (fortunately we really are best friends - I think this would drive a lot of people crazy!). If you could see all the stupid things we do at home for amusement when we need a work break, you would think we are completely crazy. OK, OK, I'll share one. Just to show we are truly insane. We will actually pretend to be video game characters that are chasing after each other in the house. Just like in video games, one of us usually gets stuck running against a wall and the other person has to turn that "character" around to get him/her going again. I told you. We are nuts. But we have SO much fun together. B is going to be so embarrassed that I just talked about this in a blog. :)

Given how much time we have had together, we know that adding two babies to the family will be a huge adjustment. But, because we have a great marital foundation, I'm confident we are 100% ready for it. I will always cherish our nine pre-baby years together, but I can't wait for the rest of our lives as a four-member family now. This is an amazing blessing, and it would never have happened without J.

Happy Anniversary B! I love you!
And thank you J for making this the best anniversary ever - WE LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

Karma & Adam said...

Happy Anniversary!
A and I also have a super strong relationship (I think facing a life-threatening disease early on in a relationship is a make-or-break kind of thing), and the addition of Addie has only made it better : )
You'll see soon enough!

Anonymous said...

Happy 9th anniversary! Here's to many many more!