Monday, July 7, 2008

14 Week Ultrasound

We're back from vacation! It was a great time, but we were also ready to be home. We got home at 1 am last night and had an ultrasound scheduled for first thing this morning. Fortunately we slept a lot on the plane. :)

One of the coolest things about being gone was that we left when we were about 12 1/2 weeks along and got back right when we turned 14 weeks - we're now officially in the second trimester! That's so exciting because I do finally feel that we can relax. In fact, I just got done writing a very long email announcement that will go to all of our friends to break the big news. It was amazing to write that email; I never thought I would see the day. I really believe the babies are coming now and couldn't be more thrilled. While on vacation I spent a lot of time reading the entire "what to expect in the first year" book. It was so much fun to learn about all the poop and bottles. Did I just say that? Seriously, I'm getting so excited.

We had the ultrasound this morning and everything looked great. The babies are measuring ahead now by a few days. They looked like little babies for the first time too rather than tiny little beans! We all "ooed" and "ahhed" a couple of times when one baby waved his/her hand and then another time moved the leg to a perfect position for the picture. When they move all around you don't necessarily see distinct body parts but in those two instances they were clear as day. It was soooo neat. I always feel like I'm going to start crying at ultrasounds. :) The only disappointment was that I was hoping we would find out genders early. Usually it is at 18 weeks, but sometimes they can tell at 14 weeks. We think she had an idea but didn't want to say. J looked up at the screen and said "I think that one is a boy" and the technician immediately said, "it could be, look at that" and pointed to a little something on the screen. It could have been something ELSE but it definitely seemed like she was thinking it was a boy with her immediate reaction to J's comment. Then she was referring a couple of times to the other baby with "she" so we don't know if that was a guess or if she was using it generically.

I have to say, my heart flipped (in a good way) when she pointed and said it could be a boy. I don't know how anyone could NOT find out early and just wait for delivery. That moment was amazing to me, to even think we MAY know. I can't even imagine what it will be like to finally put more of an identity to Baby A and Baby B. To give them names, to talk about them as real little people who will enter our lives for Christmas this year. It sounds odd since we didn't even find out the genders for sure, but even getting that guess made me realize what a magical moment it is going to be when we know.

I will have to post the pics later - I'm exhausted due to all the time changes, but I promise to put them up soon!

No comments: