Monday, October 13, 2008

We are legally parents now!

I just received in the mail this weekend our pre-birth order. That means that judgment has been entered making us officially the legal parents of the babies so that we get all possible rights at the hospital and so our names go directly on the birth certificates (in some places they put the surrogate's name on the birth certificate and you have to adopt your babies back). It was cool to read the order because it kept referring to us as the parents of the "twin babies". Even though we are technically parents, I guess I don't think of it like that since we don't have the babies yet. Reading about it made it a little more real. :) B and I were talking about that last night over dinner...it's such a crazy thought that we are two people's parents! It's very hard to grasp without them being here. I'm more used to the thought that we have children than that we are someone's parents, if that makes any sense!

9 comments:

Tara said...

Congratulations!!
We didn't have to do the pre-birth order thing, but it was VERY exciting to see our names on Charlie's birth certificate. :)

Wewurtskihit said...

CONGRATS!!!!
I know you your hearts must be lifted knowing your babies are yours now legally as well as genetically.

I wish they would give us that option in Canada!
We are still awaiting the news, almost 3 months after Tayleigh's birth! **sigh**

Mark

Melissa said...

That's awesome news, congrats! We have done two PBO's and have gotten them both just before the birth. What state are you in? I think it's fantastic that you got yours so early.

Niki said...

CONGRATS!! I stumbled upon your blog and am wondering if you'd be willing to chat with me regarding your experience with using a gestational carrier? You can read my history on my blog to get an idea of the long, difficult IF journey that we've been on. We are considering using a family member as a GC and would love any insights you could provide.

Sarah Andrews said...

WOW! Congrats on the PBO! That must just be the best feeling in the world!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for sure!! It's amazing to think that you guys can do that prior to the babies birth. Here in Canada it's not that easy. I"m so happy for you. Your so close to the goal and this is just one more milestone you've got through!!

Karma & Adam said...

Congrats! I WISH we had the pre-birth option here in Canada. We have a very long process to get our names on the birth cert. We don't have to *adopt* A per se, but there are lawyers, judges, courtrooms, DNA reports, etc. involved for us to get our names on her birth cert. In fact, we're STILL in the process, and she turned 4 months this past weekend. It stinks, but there's not much we can do.
I hear you on the *parents* thing...sometimes it's still trips me out that I'm a parent. : )

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's great news that it's done so early! What a relief!

Sanda said...

Congrats! That's great news! One more big milestone!