Saturday, October 11, 2008

Random smattering of updates

You can tell my head must be spinning since i haven't posted in a week! :) This may be a bit disjointed, but I'll include a bunch of updates in this one together:

The Nursery:
Last Friday B's parents came over and helped us put together 2 cribs and 2 dressers and hang a bunch of name letters on the wall (a very trying task!). It took us literally all day, but it was so satisfying because the nursery looked so great when we were done! I'm basically on hold to finish it now pending the shower next weekend - I don't want to buy anything else yet in case it was purchased from the registry. We'll finish the decorating after that but here is a one view of the room as it stands now:


OB Appointment:
We had an OB appointment on Tuesday and everything looked great. We didn't get any pictures this time, as it was a fast appointment. We talked more about the delivery with the doctor. She said that because there is always the possibility of a c-section with the second baby, J will be delivering the operating room - even if it is presumed a vaginal birth. In the labor room, there can be 3 extra people, so while she is in that portion of delivery we can be there. But in the operating room only one person can be there, so it looks like we will not get to see the birth after all unless they make a last minute exception (B and I have always agreed that we want to see the babies together and that if only one person could be there, it would be J's husband). Last night we had dinner with J and R though and they pointed out that one of us might want to be the one in there in case any decisions need to be made during the delivery. That's not something we had considered. J says she really doesn't need R in there and is fine if it is one of us. So we may reconsider depending on what the doctor says at our next visit. For example, this might not be as much of an issue if they allow us to wait immediately outside the OR in the hallway because if there are any questions they can get us easily. But, if we are waiting in another room somewhere that would be more difficult. If it is one of us with J, it will be me...B has always felt uncomfortable with the thought of being there during what he says is "the most private moment of someone's life"! I think he would feel even more strange if it were just he and J in there. LOL

Studio Pictures:
Last night we went and had some pictures taken at JC Penneys of all four of us. They came out really nice! We won't get them for another couple of weeks. The girl doing it did her absolute best to come up with a bunch of poses for our situation (she said she had actually done one of these shoots before but that they didn't tell her until later that it was a surrogacy!?!?!). She did go off course a little with one idea and I was laughing so hard at the inappropriateness of the suggestion I almost got tears in my eyes (you have to have gone through infertility I think to understand why this is such a bad suggestion). She said, "Hey, let's do a fun one! How about if you guys rub your bellies together?" OMG! LOL Sure, let's focus on my barren womb in that one!! hahahaha

Pediatrician:
Based on recommendations from people online, I've found a pediatrician nearby with rave reviews. I have an appointment with her on Monday to meet and talk about her office, etc. I'm assuming I will like her so this isn't really an interview, just a meeting so I can explain our situation and find out when we start bringing them in, etc.

Shower:
Next Saturday! I can't believe it's already here! I'm really excited for it - it's so neat to have the opportunity to have so many friends and family all together in one place. That kind of situation - where friends from all areas of your life are together at one time - only happens a few times in your life! And the opportunity to have a baby shower...for us...ONCE in a lifetime!

The Countdown:
Well, we are basically 28 weeks now. This is a milestone for sure! I forgot to mention that the OB said she wouldn't let us go past 38.5 weeks if we get that far. So at the most we have 10 weeks. 10 WEEKS! I don't know if everyone feels this way, but I feel like an individual week goes ridiculously fast. I didn't used to. But to me, 10 weeks means 10 more weekends to get stuff done and that is CRAZY! Average twin delivery is at 36 weeks and that is only 8 WEEKS! And even though the average is 36 weeks, almost everyone I know with twins online delivered more around 34-35 weeks...that is 6 WEEKS! WHAT? 6 WEEKS? Like, 6 Saturdays? I will feel soooo much more prepared after the shower because then I can finish getting anything else and come to a point where I feel like, "OK, done. Ready. Bring the babies now." That point will be great. I keep reading about people who don't do the nursery until after the babies come and I just could never do that! I need to feel like everything is in place and I can't imagine them being here until that happens. Last night at dinner with J and R, we established our "call list" for how they should get ahold of us when going to the hospital. We talked about what we should pack for ourselves and the babies for the hospital. Holy, holy cow. I feel like there should be some major thing that signals the transition from here to when you deliver but there is not - the babies will simply be here one day when they weren't here the day before that...in only 6-10 weeks from now!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The nursery is gorgeous!!! I am so excited for you guys.

Sanda said...

The rooom is so cute! Great job!! I loved this update - so much great stuff going on, it's so wonderful that you are so close to their arrival! I'm so excited for you!!

Wewurtskihit said...

NO wonder you havent posted! TOO much to do!

The nursery is beautiful!

Exciting times indeed!!

Mark

Sarah Andrews said...

Great update! I giggled when I read about your photoshoot. Sometimes laughter is the only way to go when you hit one of those situations. Hopefully your paediatrician is amazing! Have a wonderful shower!

MyLifeMyWorld said...

Wow your nursery looks beautiful!!! I'm amazed that there is only 10 more weeks to go, or LESS! It must be so exciting for you, I can only imagine.

As far as the operating room thing, I don't understand why it cant' be treated like a normal delivery just in an operating room. I get that if anything goes awry you'll be rushed out but if everything is fine...I dont' get it.

When I delivered the twins I too had to deliver in the operating room, but I was allowed both my IPs (unfortunately they didn't make it), in with me.

I might just bring it up again if you can at the next doc appt. Just ask if it's normal and just in a different room why can't you both go in? And that at first signal your willing to leave if something is wrong and c-section is determined.

If their sticky on that, how does your GS feel about it being video taped? Because my IPs lived far away they didn't make it but my hubby video taped it all so it was as if they were there.

Then again, some might not be as "open with the body" as I am too, so not sure if everyone is open to that sort of thing.

Either way, just 10 weeks tops till you got those babies in your arms and can love them up!

Anonymous said...

Your nursery is gorgeous, and I can't believe it's only 6-10 weeks to go, that's amazing!!! :) :)

Wow. My head is spinning for you, lol.

x
Yvonne

KH99 said...

Wow, somewhere between 6-10 weeks! Unbelievable! And the nursery looks great. You did a great job with it!

Tara said...

The nursery looks so great! :)