Monday, October 20, 2008

The Baby Shower!

Wow! Where do I begin? The baby shower was on Saturday and it was amazing! It was such an honor to be surrounded by friends and family who cared enough to take hours out of their busy schedule to come and help celebrate the twins. I have to admit I was quite nervous about the whole thing leading up to it. I have absolutely no problem being in front of lots and lots of people for professional reasons (e.g., a speech), but the thought of 20+ people taking time out of their day just for me, bringing gifts for our future children, and watching me open everything was a little intimidating. When my mother in law walked in, one of the first things she said was, "Are you overwhelmed?" I replied, "Yes!" and she said, "I can see it in your eyes!" LOL So, yes, I was a bit stressed at first. :)

There were five people on the "planning committee" and they did an amazing job, down to every detail. The theme was "two peas in a pod" and it so cute! There were peapod nametags, handmade peapod cookie party favors, a peapod cake, peapod plates and napkins, peapod prize bags, and peapod invitations. We received many wonderful gifts that will be immensely helpful to us in getting ready for the babies. Several people even made things! We received about 1,000 diapers from the diaper raffle, which by my estimations should last 2+ months. :)

I got all teary on a few occasions, which was quite embarrassing, but I know people understood. There were a lot of teary people in the room after I played a little movie I made. I wanted to put something together to show our ultrasound photos, so I made my first ever slideshow. I added transition slides for each week they were taken at. Unfortunately, the printing looked too small on our TV so not everyone could see it. When we got to the first slide everyone said, "read it!" so I turned down the volume at each of the printed slides to read what they said. I wasn't prepared for that and immediately got choked up on ... sentence 2 of the whole thing? lol I was thinking, "how on earth will I make it through this now that I have to read it?" It turned out fine and I actually only had trouble on the first and last slides - the first being a description of our IVF process, and the last being a big "thank you" to J for making the day possible. :) After that, I gave J a keepsake we had made for her to commemorate the shower. It's a little hard to explain, but it was a silver wall frame with 3 frames hanging down and a silver "plaque" at the top that said, "You have forever showered our family with love." (Get it? "Showered"? A baby shower keepsake? :) We will give her the picture of the four of us when they come in from the studio to put in one, and then one of each baby when they come to put in the others.
I was going to post the video here, but it is too big of a file. Maybe if B can find a way to shrink it, I can share it here.

It was an amazing day I will never forget, thanks to many special friends and family. Here are some pictures:
Party favors - on the cookies, there are two peas in a pod!



The cake:



Two amazing diaper cakes my sister in law made! They are filled with diapers and wash cloths, and hats, and rattles, and all kinds of sweet little things!



B and I at the end of the day:


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a creative shower and fun!
mary
hoganfe handmade
handbag originals

Karma & Adam said...

Sounds like a great shower! Glad you were able to celebrate AND get so many useful things for the twins. We would have been lost without the generosity our friends and family "showered" on us, and we only had 1 baby! You're getting so close now...how exciting!

Sarah Andrews said...

Wow! What a great post! I am so glad that you had an awesome time! I just love the theme and the pictures that you posted! You look so happy! Oh and the shower keepsake is a WONDERFUL idea! So thoughtful :O)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fabulous shower! Hope you and your little ones got spoilt rotten - and so glad you managed to relax and enjoy :) :)

x
Yvonne

KH99 said...

The shower sounds wonderful. I'm so glad your friends and family put so much thought into it! I loved the keepsake idea.

Wewurtskihit said...

That sounded like GREAT fun! Isnt it great to have family and friends use the `excuse` of a shower to buy whatever they want!!! lol

We also were very lucky to have had a very generous shower! It sure helped in a lot of areas!!!

There is a video converter program called AVS VIDEO CONVERTER...you can download it online. The cost is not so bad. It converts your video file into any video file out there (i think).
I have been able to post larger videos having converted them to .avi`s!

Mark

Sanda said...

Such a beautiful shower!! Definitely would love to see the video if it's possible to post at some point! Looks like you have a great support group of family and friends which is so wonderful! And I love the shower keepsake idea for J - that sounds so nice!

Tara said...

Yay for such a great shower! The theme was adorable and I don't think I've ever seen 2 better looking diaper cakes!

Unknown said...

N, I'm glad you enjoyed the shower. Thanks for the frame. I love it and will hang it up as soon as I have pictures! As for the video, I usually just post them on google or youtube and then put a link on my blog. I can't believe it's too large for google?!? Too bad, I'm sure people would love to see it. You did a great job!
PS--there's a deleted comment from me because after I posted it I realized I used your name, sorry!

N said...

I will see if I can convert to a smaller file so I can upload here. I just feel weird putting it on youtube so that anyone could see such a personal video floating around out there! :)

MyLifeMyWorld said...

Awe, I love baby showers, I'm sure it was really special to share that moment with all those closest to you.

I JUST LOVE the diaper cake idea!!!!

Alicia said...

Congrats! I wish you both the best in parenting and healthy babies!