Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Time with twins

Last night I spent time with my friend K and her boy/girl twins who are 18 months old. It's really cool to "see into the future" a bit! There's no doubt about it - there is a lot of work ahead! At this age, it is hard to contain one wondering baby, but when there are two it is a whole other ball game. :) That said, I absolutely can't wait. Her little babies just melt my heart - it's like double the cuteness at every moment (OK, some double the trouble I'm sure she would say, but I just see cuteness right now). I think the cutest thing was when it was time to go upstairs for baths. The babies can crawl up the stairs on their own (with adults behind them of course) and it was hilarious to see their two little diapered bottoms hovering up the stairs toward the bathroom. I had the honor of soaping up and rinsing one of them and I felt like a little girl playing house - like getting to do something that I hoped someday would be for real for me. It sometimes seems impossible that I will ever have a scene like that of my own where something so cute would be part of a daily routine and not a distant thought. But spending time with K is especially encouraging because she had multiple failed IVFs herself. It doesn't seem like long ago at all that she and I would get together to talk through all the hardships and failures and wonder if they would ever come to an end. To see her now in full mommy mode, looking like a pro who has been doing it for years, is such a wonderful thing. It inspires me so much! On a side note, K also gave us "twin" Winnie the Pooh stuffed toys last night...they are OH SO CUTE! I love Winnie the Pooh so much! :)

I also had some time with twins a couple of weeks ago when I had lunch with my friend A, who has identical twin girls after failed IVFs. That, too, was amazing! She and I cycled at the same times, had similar treatments, and were with the same doctor. I remember vividly similar conversations as I mentioned having with K, discussing all of our most recent research about what could possibly be wrong, what kind of treatments to do, whether or not surrogacy might work for us (something she had considered also), etc. Her babies are now 10 months old and she too looks like a pro. She sat the girls down in their chairs for lunch at Red Robin and then alternated between them with the feeding ... much to the amusement of just about everyone within sight of us! I've read in a several twin books that people in public places are fascinated by twins but I never really got that until lunch with A. People all around us were pointing and smiling and watching their every move. It was like being with a celebrity, though A didn't even notice (she's so used to it)! A couple even came up and told us that their twins are now 45! A lent us her "double snap n go" stroller that infant car seats fit into for a few months (then you go on to a full size stroller with seats). It's awesome and waiting for the babies! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how fast you yourself will become a "pro" once your little ones get here. Soon, you will surpass all your friends' experience with singletons and you will be the one they come to with questions, as you'll be the baby expert....times two!

best wishes

Anonymous said...

Oooh sounds like loads of fun! I can really feel your excitement coming through in this post...only a few more months...!! :)
Happy days, soon you'll be moaning about bath-times with all the rest of us!!! Lol.
x
Yvonne