Sunday, August 10, 2008

A beautiful Saturday

Yesterday was one of the days B and I love...a day with no plans. Maybe we are weird in this, but there is always so much going on, so much to do, that days with absolutely no plans hardly ever happen. The two of us, on such a Saturday, are absolutely gleeful and giddy. It's not that we want to be boring ALL the time, but our personalities are such that we both need home-hibernation at some regular interval in order to be sane. B works Sunday through Thursday and I work Monday through Friday, so our only mutual day together is Saturday and that makes it tougher. We only have 4 possibilities per month for a no-plan day so they are few and far between. So what ends up happening on a no-plan day?

We read a lot, we watched the Olympics, we watched a comedy special, we ate and ate and ate, we played pool (we have a pool table), we napped, I searched for nursery themes online. But then we broke the cardinal rule of a no-plan day: we left the house. If we had PLANNED to go out, it would not have been fun. But on a no-plan day it CAN be acceptable, upon both parties' agreement, to leave. :) I really wanted to go to Babies R Us to get something bigger than clothes...the next step up. B wanted to get a new game for our Wii. Fortunately, Babies R Us and Best Buy are next to each other where we live so it was perfect. B got a trivia game for the Wii which we ended up playing the rest of the day and I got...baby CAR SEATS!

Yes, this feels big. I had picked the ones I wanted online, including the fabric, and Babies R Us had exactly the ones I wanted. We brought them home and I immediately tore open the boxes to prop up our new car seats (one pink, one blue) in the room with us. It seems like the closest thing possible right now to actually having babies in them! I was literally beaming with excitement, picturing our two little people in there. We even took pictures of them for a future scrapbook.

I must have really felt like we were living on the edge by buying something that screams babies as much as car seats do because I subsequently had nightmares last night that something horrible happened to the babies. It's like my subconscious was saying, "something bad can still happen, don't buy any more stuff!" I hate to feel this way, I feel like normal people wouldn't! But on the other hand, I'm a major planner. I feel like we need to be completely ready by mid-November. That's 3 months, and we planned to buy stuff over time, not all on one day or something. So logically the car seats seemed reasonable, but emotionally I think it messed with my head last night. I hope that goes away soon so I can get back to picking things out. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting! If you want to start stockpiling some stuff for after the birth, we have a couple things you can borrow. We have a baby bathtub, a boppy, a blue infant carseat (maybe one for each car?), a swing, a portable crib (folds up), some baby gates, Dr. Browns Bottles, Avent bottles and sippy cups, etc, etc. Our garage is like a mini Babies R Us, so please let me know and we can pack up the car for Bible study!

Karma & Adam said...

Yay - car seats! I remember feeling EXACTLY as you did - not wanting to buy *too much* just in case...for me, it didn't feel at all real until she was here. I just couldn't believe we were actually going to have a baby...and on that note, enjoy those "no plan" days. They will cease to exist once the little ones arrive!

N said...

J - that's awesome! Thanks for the offer! Let me look at my "master checklist" and see what we were planning to buy and when and then I'll let you know a good Bible study day. :)

karma - I can see myself feeling that way the whole pregnancy too. So I guess at some point you have to just bite the bullet and move forward!