Saturday, January 3, 2009

Today is the babies' due date

It's hard to believe that today is the babies' actual due date...and they will be a month old tomorrow! Oh, how much we have learned about them this month. I can summarize it pretty well with a baby quiz. Hint: there is a pattern to the answers.

Which baby sleeps like an angel?
Which baby sleeps like he/she is slaying dragons and is so noisy that the babies have already had to be moved to their nursery without the monitor on and with the door closed in order for only the "real" cries to be heard?

Which baby will eat any formula without problem?
Which baby has led us to try 4 formulas, gas drops, and two nipples in the course of 3 weeks to alleviate post-feeding craziness?

Which baby consistently eats the same amount?
Which baby has an appetite that sings wildly between 2 and 6 ounces, leading that baby to wake up too early (after a 2 ounce feeding) or not want to eat at the next feeding at all (after a 6 ounce feeding)?

Which baby likes to be occasionally held, but after a while really enjoys just being peacefully placed in his/her crib to drift off to sweet sleep on his/her own?
Which baby requires extended burping, swinging, pacifiers, tons of holding, a specific type of swaddling and a feeding...and only when the stars are aligned...in order to go to sleep?

If you answered Kenna to all the first questions and Nathan to all the second questions, you are correct! Kenna is pretty much the easiest imaginable baby, and Nathan is pretty much the most difficult imaginable baby. I think the most difficult thing is the sleep issue. He absolutely is incapable of going to sleep on his own. Ever. I desperately want them to get to 3 months old so we can do sleep training (it's too early now - they aren't "trainable" yet). That's been the hardest thing for me - not being able to really work on making progress in difficult areas, because it's pretty much universally agreed that in the first three months you can't train them. I'm a person who needs a plan; I see a problem, I will find a solution. I see Nathan needs to learn to sleep on his own, I want to do all the recommended techniques to get him there. But, I can't yet. It makes you feel like you are just treading water. The only progress I feel we are making is time toward that 3 month point. Oh, March, how you look like a wonderful month. :) (And yes I know that it won't be a magical day on their 3 month birthday where they are suddenly trainable - but I know I can start working on it then!)

The good thing is, we have learned a lot about their cries and cues and I feel more confident that I know what is going on at a given time. We know their patterns for the most part. I'm sure that will continue getting easier too. Nathan had a couple of weeks of extreme gas pain and agitation at times so we have been trying different formulas and think we have found one that works pretty well for him in the last 3 days. Now he is "just" fussy but not in pain. A step forward. J is still pumping, but we mix with formula to have enough for them. Nathan is eating about 36 ounces per day now and Kenna about 32!

B goes back to work tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous about that. Right now, when one of us just can't manage Nathan anymore, the other is sane enough to jump in. But as of Sunday, B will be doing his 9p-3a shift at night and it's all me the rest of the time. We are going to try this for a couple of weeks to see if B will survive doing his night shift and still be able to function at work. If he can't, we may look into some nightime help.

Feeding every 3 hours is going really well for the most part. Only occasionally do we get off schedule. But of the 3 hours, about 1.5 hours is spent feeding, diapering and getting back to sleep so there isn't much time in between cycles left over. I'm very excited to move to a 4 hour schedule when that becomes possible. Kenna I think is ready to eat every 4 hours already because we usually have to wake her to eat, but Nathan definitely needs his 3 hour feedings (even though he eats a ton!).

Amazingly, I don't feel completely exhausted physically. I just feel drained energy wise from the never ending 3 hour cycles. Just when I feel like I get to relax I look at the clock and have about 15 minutes until the next feeding. I'm always surprised - like, it can't possibly be time for them to eat again?! lol

We did get out the other day for the first time with them. We took them to an open air mall (to avoid indoor germs) and went to our favorite restaurant. Then we got ice cream and walked around. It was so great to feel like we weren't homebound anymore! I loved just cruising around with them, getting to spend time with them while getting time to be out of the house. There were a lot of onlookers. People think you can't hear them, which is so amusing. We were just sitting with the double stroller and people would walk by and say, "Oh my gosh, twins" or "ooohhhh twins" or "oh wow, twins" (in a tone of "I can't even imagine what that would be like"). A guy actually asked us, "how crazy is YOUR life?" lol

So, that's the first month. I'm really looking forward to when we get to enjoy them all day and enjoy sleep all night. :) That's fair, right?

10 comments:

Kirsten, Chris, Jacob, Sarah & Evan said...

Should I tell you that at age 22 months, Sarah woke me up at 5am this morning? Probably not!

Glad to hear things are going well, I can't wait to meet them, it's ridiculous that they are nearly a month already and I haven't seen them yet!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are getting them figured out! It must be fun to get all the comments from people (at least the positive ones)! Sheesh, they eat alot! I don't think mine ever ate that much in a day, even at 10 or 12 months old!?! Congrats on them almost being 1 month old!

MyLifeMyWorld said...

They say the first 6 months are the hardest with twins and multiples, that it's all a blur because of the sleeping. I'm glad your able to keep up with the blogging, it's really nice to hear how things are going.

I can see all the comments coming at you, I'm sure you get the "ahhh, their so cute" too, cause they are!

Good luck, and Nathan will come around, after about 3 months or so the gas usually starts to subside...poor little guy.

Hugs and Happy New Year and Happy 1 month birthday!

kewd said...

We didn't go to 4 hour feedings til 4 months but it was wonderful when we did :)

I find that my "difficult" child has flip flopped ... one then the other. For many many months it was my daughter, then my son, then my daughter...they seem to stick to their roles for a while, then reverse on me! Equal opportunity twins!

My husband went back to work after 2 weeks and couldn't deal with overnights like that. I went to bed early and he handled them from my bedtime til about 1 or 2 am. I had many good hours of sleep by then and was ready to take over, and he managed to get 5-6 solid hours of sleep before having to wake at 7 for work.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. It is so rough right now. I remember thinking there was no day or night--just 3 hour increments. Mine didn't go to 4 hours until we started solids. And they were eating 8-9 ounces per feeding. I think sleeping is a constant battle--ours are waking up before 6am right now so we're back to wandering around like zombies. But it does get better. Congrats on surviving the 1st month!

Jackie said...

Check out this site might help with your restless Nathan, wish I'd had these for my colicky babies.http://www.pinkyblue.ca/Zaky_p_89.html
I have been enjoying your blog immensely and your babies are beautiful!

Wewurtskihit said...

I remember it well when i had to go back to work. Michelle was really concerned if she could do it - and we only had our Tayleigh not TWO rascals!!

But I am sure you will do just fine. Sounds like Kenna will take care of herself, so you only have worry about Nathan....LOL

As far as doing nightshift AND working all i can say is B - try and take a quicky nap at lunch time (IF you can)! it helped me survive and still does. 20 min at lunch is worth $20 million in the bank!!!!

I cant believe its been already 4 weeks!!!!!!!! H-O-L-Y!!!!

Mark

Sarah Andrews said...

I really love hearing your updates N and I am so glad that you are finding the time (I don't know how) to fill us all in! I am really proud of you - I know it sounds cheesey but when one of us finally crosses to the other side - it's just so good to know that life is good, hectic and pure baby. Hugs my friend and I look forward to your next round of pictures! hint hint!

TABI said...

How sublime to be getting to know your two lovely babies! You are handling a lot and I hope you do get some rest but I am so happy to hear how much you are enjoying yourself. It really gives me hope that things can work out. Congrats on your 1 month marker!

Christina said...

OMG..sounds just like Alex and Abby down to the strange noises at night time! You guys are doing awesome! I want to see more pictures though. :)