Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Week 11: Really Loving It

I'll start this week with the highlights, then a little commentary:

--Both babies have crossed over that bridge of "newborns can't stay awake for more than two hours"...they both consistently make it to 2.5 hours at the times of day when they are "supposed to" for babies their age now. It's amazing how fast they have caught up on the schedule to babies their age. In the beginning they were following the schedule for their adjusted age (4 weeks early) and now they are right on track with what full term babies are supposed to be able to do! They seem to really be thriving and alert.

--We ended week 11 with all four of us in the house sick. B and I had the flu and both babies had colds. It was/is their first illness. My maternal instinct showed up in full force - it is so sad to see their little congested faces crying! Kenna seems to be much worse than Nathan. Nathan is a bit congested, but Kenna keeps sneezing and has so much stuff in her sinuses. I keep using the nasal aspirator with her but it seems there is no end to it. She has been really fussy and just wants to be held all the time. It's so sad! I just keep comforting her and am enjoying the opportunity to "rescue" her from her pains. :)

Nathan Update

Nathan continues to give us lots and lots of smiles. He is sooooo sweet. Those little smiles just melt my heart. He smiles spontaneously at things and seeing little spurts of joy in my sweetheart just makes my heart leap. When he gets really excited he opens his mouth really wide and it looks like he is going to laugh, but no audible laughs yet! He loves when I smile really big and say in a high pitched tone, "TEE TEE TEE TEE TEE!!" LOL (Yes I feel stupid writing that!) B has his own ways of eliciting Nathan's beautiful smiles, like pulling his hands together in a clapping motion. Nathan has squealed a couple of times, but not too much. He does make little sounds here and there but I don't know if it's what you call "coos". I don't know exactly what a "coo" is, but I guess I'll find out one of these days! Nathan continues to really surprise us with his strength. I'll post a picture after this where you can see him holding his head way up. He only likes tummy time for a minute or so, but while he is there he is an amazing little guy, lifting his head way up and looking around both directions. He also has a really strong grasp. Although he isn't really reaching for things intentionally, he grasps at the air a lot and loves holding on TIGHT to my fingers or hair!

One of the funniest things that Nathan does is say his own special word when he is hungry: UN-GAY. It cracks us up because it does sound a bit like HUN-GRY and is very distinctive when he says it. When you take his bottle away to wipe his mouth or something he immediately screams and tells you, "UN-GAY!!!" It's so fun to respond by saying, "oh no! Not that! You are un-gay? I better give you the bottle back!" or "I know you are un-gay, don't worry there is more food!" Both babies eat 6 ounces 5 times per day, but yesterday Nathan was screaming UN-GAY after his 6 ounces during two of the feedings so I gave him more. By the night time feeding he didn't want anymore after 3 ounces. I took the bottle out of his mouth and said, "you don't seem very UN-GAY tonight!" He got a huge smile on his face and it was so precious. He was done eating. :)


Kenna Update

Kenna may not smile as frequently as Nathan, but when she does it is pure gold. She gets some GIANT grins (I'll post some pictures after this) and it's just amazing. We had some friends coming over to see the babies for the first time this week so I dressed her up in a new dress we have for the first time. She looked like a precious little doll. I love dressing her up so much! It's the pink dress in the pictures I'm going to post. I just can't wait for summer when I can put her in dresses every day. She has the cutest expressions. She opens her eyes really wide sometimes and puckers her little lips as if she is surprised and I think it's the sweetest thing - so innocent and pretty! There are two things that make her consistently smile. The funniest one is when she sees me get the camera out! I sit her up and when she sees the camera she almost always gets a big grin! So I always have a series of pictures with the first couple of her smiling (she doesn't smile the whole time so I have to get them fast!). The other thing is the flashing, music playing star attached to her play mat. Nothing else keeps her occupied in the same way. She just loves it. When it is off and she is lying under it, she stares at it waiting for it to blink and play its songs. As soon as it does, big smiles!

Kenna is doing a great job looking all around her on both sides now. For a while, she would look to her left side 90% of the time. The doctor said it might have been how she was positioned in the womb. I had been encouraging her to look the other direction for a while, but in the last couple of weeks she has really gone to evenly looking around in all ways. When I sit her upright on my lap or against my chest, she holds her head up really well and looks to both sides with intrigue. Her face is so petite and dainty...when I see her looking around with those inquisitive eyes I just can't help but kiss her big cheeks over and over. :)

I can't really get her to lift her head while on tummy time very much yet, but she's doing well when she is lying angled against me. Hopefully she will decide she wants to lift up like Nathan soon.


Me Update

I just have to say that I have really transitioned from struggling with the day to day to honestly and truly loving it. I find so much joy now in all the little things - watching their expressions, seeing how they develop new skills, eliciting their beautiful smiles, waiting in anticipation for their next milestones to happen, feeling their fingers tightly wrapped around mine, watching their eyes close slowly at night as they fall asleep, comforting them when they are unhappy. It is such an honor and a privilege to know them. I'm just so excited about our little family and all the time we hopefully have ahead of us together.

When we were at the mall a few weeks back pushing our double stroller through, a woman came up to us and sort of stopped me by putting her hand on my shoulder. She looked at the babies and then looked at me with emotion beyond her simple words: "You are SO lucky." People make comments all the time when we are out and about, but this woman stands out to me. It wasn't a flippant comment. I could tell there was so much behind it, though I could never guess her specific story. At the time I thought, "if you only knew how much we've been through to get here!" But I am reminded lately of how much so many people go through with infertility and still don't have their desired outcomes. It's really sad that there is not necessarily a correlation between how much work you put in and what the outcome is with infertility. It really stands out to me lately HOW lucky we are, and that I should never think "if you only knew how much we've been through..." Many go through even more than we did and don't have a double (or single) stroller to push through the mall. That woman was so right. We are SO lucky.

7 comments:

Wewurtskihit said...

Sounds like you guys are doing GREAT!!! The kids look amazing! What great smiles!!!

Colds for a baby are NEVER fun. Tayleigh HATES having her nose cleaned. We have to bribe her with a cheerio after to keep her from screaming the neighborhood awake!!!

BUT - it will get better (in 20 years or so...LOL)

Sanda said...

It sounds like you guys are all doing so wonderful! Love to read your updates!!
I know what you're saying about the so lucky part - we are always so amazed that this is really happening to us - because we know how easily it could have been for us to be the couple that it never happened for. So we knock on wood everywhere we go for the babies to get here safely and thrive and I don't think we will ever be able to take it for granted now that we know all that we know!

MyLifeMyWorld said...

You are so lucky and it's so wonderful to hear your words and updates and hear the appreciation. The babies are lucky too ya know, to have you! Some people don't realize how lucky they are, they walk through life griping about it, rather than seeing the blessings. I think it's sad in many ways.

I do love hearing how things are going, and it sounds like that time away has refreshed you and you have been able to relax and really enjoy...everyone sounds and looks so happy in pictures, it makes me happy for you all! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Yes you are lucky. I feel the same way at times too. All 4 of my children are adopted, and when people makes comments to me some times I just want to blurt out. YES - I couldn't conceive, but now I have 4 beautfull kids. But most of the time, I just say thanks. And agree that I am lucky! To have the oppurtuinty to be a mommy.
*Amy*
P.S. I just LOVE the pics. My 9 month old daughter is the same way with the camera. As soon as she sees it she breaks out in the biggest smile! So I have to make sure it's ON and READY before she sees me with it, or I miss out on the smile pictures b/c it's gone after a few. lol

Anonymous said...

That's so funny, Evan and Connor LOVE the music-making lights-flashing star thingy, too! Except the batteries are in the process of dying and the music sounds all scary and carnival-like, and they look so confused! :)

It sounds like everything is going very well with your family, I'm so happy for you!

Devon said...

I've said that to a few twin moms before too...

I will never get the chance to raise my twins here as they were taken from us much too soon...so yes, i think you are especially lucky!

even more so for what you had to go through to get them here...thanks for expressing that so sweetly. it was nice to hear a twin mom actually appreciate the comments...for me, i would love to have people coming up to me ALL the time cuz then my babies would be here....enjoy it!

btw, your children are beautiful! enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely update and I love the pictures of your sweet babies. My only comment is that you might want to keep Kenna in pants this summer if she is crawling around because there is nothing sadder than a sweet baby girl not able to crawl because her dress gets caught! I'm glad you're enjoying these special days!